The below organic stock recipe includes vinegar which helps draw out the beneficial magnesium, calcium, and potassium from the bones, while the vegetables provide valuable electrolytes.
In addition, the gelatin from the bones has a hugely healing effect on the digestive, nervous and immune systems, and also assists in protein assimilation.
Your stock will keep for around 5 days in the fridge and several months in the freezer. It is recommended to drink a mug of the broth every day to promote effective regeneration of the gut wall.
Organic Beef Stock Bones
Organic Lamb & Pork Stock Bones
Whole Organic Chicken Carcass
- 1 organic chicken carcass or approx 1.5kg beef, lamb or pork bones
- 1 medium organic white onion
– 2 medium organic carrots, coarsely chopped
– 1 bulb of organic garlic, cloves unpeeled (optional)
– 2 medium sticks of organic celery, coarsely chopped
– 3.5 litres cold filtered water
– 5 whole organic black peppers
- 3 bay leaves
– 6 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 2 tsp sea salt
1. Brown off your carcass / bones in a medium-heated oven for one hour.
2. Place the carcass / bones in a large stainless steel stockpot, saucepan or slow cooker.
3. Cover with filtered water, vinegar, bay leaf, salt, pepper and vegetables. Leave to stand for approximately 30 minutes.
4. If cooking on the hob, bring to slow boil on a medium heat. Remove any scum that rises to the top with a large spoon and discard. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, cover and simmer for 6 hours.
5. If using a slow cooker, follow the instructions in steps one to three. Set your slow cooker to high and simmer for 8 hours. (The first one to two hours will be bringing the stock to a simmer.)
6. One hour from the end of cooking, add the fresh parsley.
7. When your stock has reached the end of your chosen cooking time, drain the liquid into a large bowl, discarding the carcass, giblets and vegetables.
8. Place the clear broth in the fridge
e for 24 hours or until the fat has settled on the top. Now skim and discard the fat. Decant your broth into smaller tubs for the fridge or freezer.