WILD VENISON GOULASH
PREP TIME 15 minutes
COOK TIME 2 hours
- 1.4kg diced wild venison
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (to tenderize the venison)
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 45 gm sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon ground caraway
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 large onions, diced
- 4 large carrots, washed and sliced into 1-inch slices
- 1 bay leaf
- 200ml organic beef broth
- sour cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 160°C. Sprinkle the venison with a teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon baking soda. Let it sit for 15 minutes then rinse and dry (the baking soda will tenderize the venison)
- In a food processor, mix the roasted peppers, paprika, tomato paste, caraway, vinegar, and salt until smooth.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Cook until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the paprika/pepper mixture and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Make sure the paprika mixture does not burn or it will become bitter. Stir in the venison, carrots, and bay leaf. Cover the pan and place it in the oven. Cook for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add enough broth to bring to the desired consistency and season with salt and pepper. Serve with roasted potatoes and top with sour cream.